It’s tea time ! Heat the kettle, take a cup and gently prepare your aromatic infusion. But what do you plan to do with those bulky tea bags? Throw them away, right? This is an instinctive gesture that must be banished from your habits. You probably didn’t know this, but these bags can be widely recycled. It may surprise you, but at home they will serve you in different ways. Against all odds, they will even be very effective in cleaning bathrooms. Get out of expensive and environmentally harmful products, this tip will change the game.
Bathrooms: a breeding ground for bacteria
After the sink, the toilet is the second largest breeding ground for bacteria, germs and fungi. If hygiene is not impeccable in this area, which is very frequented by members of the household, you will not be immune to viruses and other infections. Even if the task is often laborious, you have no choice but to regularly clean the bathroom and in particular the toilets. Thus, you will eliminate not only embedded dirt, indelicate odors, but also scale and lime deposits that accumulate. Fortunately, you don’t always have to use bleach or any other expensive chemical-based industrial products. Our tip of the day will probably appeal to anyone who prefers economical and ecological solutions.
Why should tea bags be put in the toilet?
The winter period is especially conducive to snuggling up under the blanket in front of a good fire. And nothing like a delicious cup of aromatic tea to perfect this enveloping atmosphere. Except that after the infusion, the used bag is immediately in the trash. And it’s a shame, because its versatility is unsuspected: few people know about it, but this sachet can act as an outstanding detergent and deodorant. Cleaning the toilet with a tea bag is an easy and natural way to remove stubborn dirt.
How to proceed ?
- If you want to effectively deal with sediment and grime in the toilet, simply place a used tea bag in the bowl. You will notice the first effects after only 15 minutes. This area will be refreshed, clean and free of bad odors. Make sure not to leave this sachet in the toilet for more than 30 minutes, to avoid residue and deposits of black tea grounds. Then all you have to do is gently scrub and rinse.
- If desired, it is also possible to infuse two sachets in hot water (500 ml) for five minutes. This solution is then poured directly into the container. This time, it is possible to leave it overnight. The result is very satisfying!
Other tips to make cleaning the bathroom easier
To avoid overburdening your household budget, here are some effective, simple, and inexpensive ways to clean a dirty toilet.
- Mix half a glass of white vinegar with three tablespoons of baking soda. These two products are recognized for their cleansing, whitening and deodorant properties. As a bonus, this duo is ideal for removing scale and lime deposits. To neutralize the slightly strong smell of vinegar, feel free to add a few drops of scented essential oil to the mix. Then pour the solution into a spray bottle and spray the inside of the toilet. Leave to act for about 30 minutes. Then scrub everything thoroughly and rinse.
- Don’t have any more white vinegar on hand? No problem: baking soda can do the trick in combination with citric acid, an equally effective toilet grime reliever. Mix 1/3 cup of baking soda with two tablespoons of citric acid. Pour everything into the toilet bowl. Leave on for an hour, before rubbing the area with a brush. In this way, your toilet will be clean and pleasantly scented.
- For its part, hydrogen peroxide is also a formidable weapon against yellowish stains and accumulated sediment in the toilet. You probably already have it in your medicine cabinet, as it’s often used to treat nasty wounds. Pour this cleaning agent into a spray bottle and generously spray toilet bowls (interior and exterior). After waiting 20 minutes, flush the toilet. All you have to do is wipe down the board and lid with a paper towel. Guaranteed shine!
read also Why is it advisable to put a tea bag in the sink before going to bed? The genius trick of crafty housewives